There is so much buzz around the up and coming job field of a Social Media Management. If you haven’t heard about it, this is your “woke” moment. Social Media Managers are superheroes when it comes to marketing, exposure, and brand awareness for companies through different social platforms. They are behind the scenes, filling their ever-evolving minds with algorithm changes, trends, scheduling, and much more. Personally, it’s one of the most interesting and challenging jobs I’ve ever worked!
If you are new to the SMM world, or a veteran looking for a brush-up, let’s talk about what exactly a Social Media Manager should and will be expected to do when they are hired. Social Media Managers are different from VA’s, and shouldn’t be expected to do the same tasks. Some people decide to offer it all as a package deal. If that’s what you want to do, make sure it’s a workload you can handle.
Whether you decide to work freelance, or are hired for a contract position, it’s important to understand just what a client expects to receive from a skilled Social Media Manager. That way, you never fall behind!
- They know their target audience…Essentially, they have the investigation skills of a seasoned detective. They understand what the company’s target audience is, where to locate them, and how to track their activity online. They note the targets daily social media patterns, in order to be effectively market to them in a way that specifically speaks to their needs.
- Can quickly adjust to change… Social media is always evolving, and your marketing techniques could require a change at the drop of a hat. An exceptional SMM is flexible and able to easily adapt their strategies dependent on changes throughout the social world. Can it be stressful? Hell ya, it can be incredibly annoying to have to change a strategy that had been working so well. That’s the way of the world though, and it’s their job to be able to deal with it.
- Customer service champions…When the audience reaches out, an SMM makes themselves available to listen and reply, in a timely way and always with relevant and helpful answers. Every interaction is a direct reflection of the brand they are working for, so there is NO option to drop the ball. The audience will judge the brand pretty heavily based on the responses they get from social media.
- Hashtag superhero…There is a lot of research and behind the scenes work that goes into developing the perfect hashtag strategy. Hashtags are awesome for connecting to the target audience, generating conversations, gathering leads, and generally building a brand overall. SMM understand the power of good hashtag implementation, and how to use them to gain exposure.
- Dependability is their middle name…Social Media Managers don’t just play around online all day. They need to be structured, organized and prepared. Dependability is key! A missed day on social media that hasn’t been scheduled for can cause follower loss and engagement drops. Clients don’t like that. To avoid that, they always have a content calendar and scheduled posts in place, just in case. They know about all of the scheduling apps and coordinating apps out there to make this part of the job that much more efficient.
- Super SEO conscious…SEO improves searchability, which in turn will produce more exposure for your client’s brand. A skilled Social Media Manager knows how to craft posts and headlines to optimize that and gain traction. They know how to implement specific keywords to bring people to the brand.
- Always on-trend… Marketing trends change like the weather, and SMM needs to be able to stay on top with every adjustment. Whether it is graphics, videos, or live broadcasts, whatever is on trend will be the top of their technique. And when it changes, they will adjust accordingly.
It’s not just playing around online all day, as some people may think, but if you encompass these qualities and have a passion for helping people grow their dreams, this may be the job for you!
Social Media Managers are not Virtual Assistants, and shouldn’t be expected to carry out all the tasks a VA does. Make sure that clients understand what you offer and distinct definition of your job. Now get out there and kick ass! In such a new, and exploding job field, make your mark and get those jobs!